The Tobolsk Kremlin

The Tobolsk Museum and Sanctuary of History and Architecture is a center of cultural heritage of Western Siberia.
The first fort was made of Kazak wood, but Moscow encouraged stone building works in Tobolsk in every possible way.
All secular buildings resembled Moscow architecture of the 17th century.
At the end of the 17th century the building of the Kremlin was conducted by cartographer and historian of Siberia Semyon Remezov, according to his own project approved in Moscow.
Churches built under the supervision of Metropolitan Paul had a cross and dome structure and five domes at the top.
The Kremlin of Remezov was a new administrative centre of Siberia. It repeated the broken lines of the previous walls and corner towers.
In 1683-1686 bricklayers from the capital and Veliky Ustyug with their apprentices Gerasim Sharypin and Gavrila Tyutin created the stone Sophiysko-Uspensky Cathedral.
By the beginning of the 18th century the stone walls and towers had been built, as well as some other buildings which have since been destroyed.
In 1961 the Tobolsk museum received a status of Museum and Sanctuary of History and Architecture.
All monuments of the Kremlin and the town are property of the Museum of History and Architecture.
  • The Tobolsk Museum and Sanctuary of History and Architecture is a center of cultural heritage of Western Siberia.
  • The first fort was made of Kazak wood, but Moscow encouraged stone building works in Tobolsk in every possible way.
  • All secular buildings resembled Moscow architecture of the 17th century.
  • At the end of the 17th century the building of the Kremlin was conducted by cartographer and historian of Siberia Semyon Remezov, according to his own project approved in Moscow.
  • Churches built under the supervision of Metropolitan Paul had a cross and dome structure and five domes at the top.
  • The Kremlin of Remezov was a new administrative centre of Siberia. It repeated the broken lines of the previous walls and corner towers.
  • In 1683-1686 bricklayers from the capital and Veliky Ustyug with their apprentices Gerasim Sharypin and Gavrila Tyutin created the stone Sophiysko-Uspensky Cathedral.
  • By the beginning of the 18th century the stone walls and towers had been built, as well as some other buildings which have since been destroyed.
  • In 1961 the Tobolsk museum received a status of Museum and Sanctuary of History and Architecture.
  • All monuments of the Kremlin and the town are property of the Museum of History and Architecture.

The Tobolsk Kremlin is the only stone fort in Siberia. The first fort was made of Kazak wood, but Moscow encouraged stone building works in Tobolsk in every possible way.

In 1683-1686 bricklayers from the capital and Veliky Ustyug with their apprentices Gerasim Sharypin and Gavrila Tyutin created the stone Sophiysko-Uspensky Cathedral. By the beginning of the 18th century the stone walls and towers had been built, as well as some other buildings which have since been destroyed. Siberian Metropolitan Paul supervised the building works. Churches built then had a cross and doom structure and five domes at the top.

At the end of the 17th century the building of the Kremlin was conducted by cartographer and historian of Siberia Semyon Remezov, according to his own project approved in Moscow. He acquired stone building skills in the capital. Near the south slope of the mountain he built The Chamber of Orders (built 1699-1704). In the north west corner of the Kremlin there is Great Gostiny Dvor (built 1702-1706). The Kremlin of Remezov was a new administrative centre of Siberia. It repeated the broken lines of the previous walls and corner towers. But its secular buildings also resembled Moscow architecture of the 17th century. Remezov used his unique talent in his new view of the Kremlin. According to his project, when you ascend 60 metres of the Trinity Cape, you must go through the triumphant Dmitrievsky Gates, commemorating Yermak, the conqueror of Siberia. Then you go past the walls of Sophiysko-Uspensky Cathedral and Voznesenskaya Church. The exit was designed to pass through the Spasskiye Gates with a tower.

Contacts: Tobolsk, the Red Square, 1/4, +7(3456)26-41-60

Working hours and directions are here: www.tiamz.ru.

How to get to Tyumen